Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Fourth Child

 

   If you are a parent of more than one child, you might have noticed that your parenting style relaxes with each child.  For those of you that know me well, you know that my parenting style was a little lax to begin with, so you can only imagine what I am like with Gretchen. 

   With Emma, she didn’t receive a single bite of solid food (that I know of) until she was 5 months old.  Then she was allowed to have cereal made with formula.  Gradually, over the course of a few weeks, vegetables and fruits were added – one at a time.  All the vegetables had to be tried before fruits so that she wouldn’t get hooked on sweet things.  After all possible food allergies had been ruled out (at about 9 months or so) she was allowed to get little bites of real food every now and then.

   Gretchen was 6 months old (new APA guidelines) when she got solids, but it was only about a week before we were feeding her off our plates.

  Now I am at that point that if it will keep her happy and QUIET for a couple of minutes, she gets it….

gretchen oreo 1

getcehn oreo 2

  Yep, she’s got an Oreo.  They’re her favorite.  I can give her an Oreo and she is quietly concentrating on her business for a good 10-15 minutes.  Of course, there are consequences.

getchen oreo3

   I don’t mind the mess…because sometimes she works so hard on that cookie….

     IMG_6245

…and I get an extra few minutes of peace!

5 comments:

Pam said...

These are such cute pictures of Gretchen! Yes, I understand the need for some quiet time, and if it comes at the price of an oreo, then so be it. : )

Ilene said...

LOL. Aren't we a mess. Cameron would love an Oreo! I had not given her any kind of cookies until last week in Mutual during combined activity Cassie handed her a chocolate chip cookie then asks can she have that. (Too late now!) and a few min later Deanna handed her an Oreo! She was loving it, I was not both big messes smeared all over me!

Kelly said...

Oh my goodness... she is sooo DARLING! I wish I was close enough to snuggle up with her! I hear ya on the 15 mins of peace. I just hope you are popping the oreos with her... You need a lil extra sugar boost yourself! I MISS YOU! She is so Sweet! love you

Mandi said...

oh that is really to dang cute! Love it and oh so true. I love a few minuets of peace and quiet nothing is better. Thanks for calling Tuesday. I just got it my phone has been at Verizon getting fixed it was dropped in a the dog bowl. Let me know if we can do it next Tuesday. I miss you!

Brittney said...

oh how how cute is thattt!!(: she sure is a cute one! How are so so blessed with such cute little kids!?! see ya Sunday thanks again for letting me sit with you guys!(: