Tuesday, July 21, 2009

“Ohh, It’s So Good!”

     First off, I am very happy to be back in cyberspace.   After buying a new computer and finally getting a new modem from our ISP, we are back in business.  2 months without access to the internet was not very fun.

  Now for the good stuff.  I like to cook, I'm just not very good at it.  I have no imagination, and my kitchen is small – which drives me crazy.  I also don’t like to cook when my family is at home – I want to be with them, not tied to the stove.  Consequently, we eat a lot of box dinners and drive thru (Bad Mommy!)

      Many of you know that last year I found a wonderful system that helps with my shortcomings called 30 Meals in One Day.  It is a collection of recipes that are freezer worthy, and easy to prepare.  It compiles a shopping list based on the menus you have chosen, and you can print out recipe cards, labels, and other stuff.   It was great – when I had energy and the kids were in school.  It did save money, both because we ate out less and we bought all the stuff in bulk.  However, between planning the menu, compiling the list, shopping day and prep day it took 2-3 full days. (Not to mention the cleanup!)  Needless to say, my freezer has been pretty empty the last month or so – but no more!

  I was browsing online the other day and found this wonderful place called Mr. Food’s No Fuss Meals.  I knew I had to try it as soon as I read over the website, and today was the day.

  I pre-ordered my choices from the menu online, and when I got there, everything was set up and waiting.  All the different meals are at workstations with ALL the ingredients pre-chopped, prepared and ready for you to assemble.  An instruction sheet guides you step by step, and the containers are provided.  The best part? NO clean up.  That’s done for you, too.

   What took me three days previously took me and hour and half.   No shopping! No chopping! No mess!  I was really impressed.  While I was building my dishes I was calculating the price difference between 30 Meals and Mr. Food. I came to the conclusion that I was only saving about .50-$1 per serving, and if you calculate shopping, prep, and clean time….there’s no contest.

   There was just one question left – how did it taste?  Well, tonight I made Little Italy Chicken Parmigianino. (Something I would have never made on my own – too labor intensive in my tiny kitchen.)

IMG_2389

This is 1/6 of the entire meal.  I split a “large” portion into 2 dinners, and there was plenty for all five of us. (I did add a small salad and bread).   For the first time in recent memory Jake cleaned his plate.  Grady ate everything I put on his tray – he even threw his bread on the floor so he could have more room for noodles.  Emma gave it “five stars”.   Jason also cleaned his plate and what I couldn’t finish.  There’s no chicken left, but Grady has noodles for lunch on the menu tomorrow.  I can’t wait to try the Snickers Cheesecake later.

IMG_2391   jake clean plate

     So, who wants to join me for a Girl’s Night?  Check out the website: www.nofussmeals.com . Browse the August menus and let me know when's good for you!

4 comments:

Katheryn said...

The meals do definitely sound yummy! But since I am really trying to carefully watch what I eat right now, I am going to stick with putting together the meals myself so that I have better control of what goes into it. But maybe in a few months, I could go with you and give it a try!

The Sauls Family said...

Hey Erin- based on your comment on my blog, is there something you'd like to share with the group??!!!?!? :D

Kelly said...

I have heard of these things before! Cool! Looks like the PERFECT answer to what you need right now being prego and such a busy Mom! I'd LOVE to give it a whirl! Lets make a date!
xoxoxo
kelly

Ilene said...

Were you meaning make a date to go put together the food. Or what I thought was now that you have all this extra time make a date for an actual girls night out!!??