Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Our “Wicked” Little Surprise

 

     Now that my dear husband has finally told all of his family, we can publically share the news: we’re pregnant!

   It seems like the reason all our plans to go see Wicked fell into place so nicely is because this little spirit was so anxious to come to Earth. (The little prankster even seems to be able to render birth control useless).  We have one heck of a souvenir from that play!  I told Emma that if it is a girl we are going to name her Elphaba and if it  is a boy, Fieryo.  She loves the names. (I am going to hate to break her heart.)

ultrascreen

  Now for the particulars….I am 13 weeks and 2 days today.  My official due date is January 25, but since my kids arrive around 36 weeks we are looking at a New Year’s baby.  Maybe I’ll get lucky and have the first baby of the new year! 

  I had my Ultrascreen done last week and we got the results today – NORMAL.  That blew my mind.  With our family history and my age I was expecting them to come back like Grady’s  - about a 1:300 chance of having a baby with Down syndrome.  Nope. 1:1,900.  Of course, Jake’s results were normal, too.  (But back then they didn’t do the ultrasound measurement of the “fat patch” on the back of his neck)  Like I told the nurse, we will wait until our big ultrasound on August 7th to celebrate.  They will be able to measure bone length ratio, check the chambers of the heart, fluid in the brain and womb, etc.  We will also know for sure the gender.

    As for names, she told me her name already.  Yep, I said she.  Early ultrasounds indicate PINK.  I will be shocked if it is a boy, for a couple of reasons.  First, I always knew we had four spirits coming to our family.  Even after Grady was born and Jason said we were done, I knew there was one more.  I also felt very strongly it was a girl.  The other reason is that while I was sitting there staring at that HPT, thinking “this can not be happening”, my mind cleared for an instant and “Gretchen” popped in.  This is a name that we never discussed for the others. It never even came up.  I didn’t even like the name too much until that moment.  But it fits: it means pearl. A precious gem to add to our collection.

   I just hope its not a boy – Fieryo really is the only name I like…..

5 comments:

The Sauls Family said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

I think Gretchen is one of those names that's amking a comeback (or maybe it never went away??). We have a niece named Gretchen. :)

Kelly said...

Oh you are too Cute! I love the baby photo... what Happy times! I love Gretchen and Fieryo so you are hooked up either way! I will be holding my breath for the 7th! Please put me on the list of people to call so I can start breathing again...
We LOVE You! We are so excited for you... and your new little Pearl!
xoxoxoxo

Katheryn said...

I love the name Gretchen too! I have a cousin named Gretchen and she is such a wonderful lady! Maybe that's why I love the name :) We have been and will keep prayer for you that everything will be perfect with this baby. We love ya!

Ilene said...

Hopefully the surprise is sweet when she gets here, Not wicked like the title of the play :) I don't know how your going to stay sain! Jakers in diapers, Grady still in diapers and then Gretchen. You better be buying stock in diapers! We'll have to buy you a huge box of diapers to your end of the babies party!!! We are excited for you if there is anything I can do to help out, (if you need someones couch to lie on cause your feeling sick, give me a call we can lay on mine together:)

Mandi said...

I Love the name Gretchen as well! Congrats!Planned or not it is a WONDERFUL suprise! I can not wait to met this little spirit! I am excited for this little to come so I can paint Emmas nails and pigtail up her hair! Love you!