Sunday, April 25, 2010

Let’s Build Something Together

 

    Those of you that know me well know that I love a good bargain – and how much better can you get than FREE?  I was searching the internet for freebies (one of my new hobbies) when I came across the Lowe’s Build and Grow Workshops.  They are every other Saturday, and the kids get an apron, goggles, building kit, and the parents get to help their kiddos build a project….all for FREE! Quality time and a cute craft? You can’t beat that!

   Last weekend was the first time we went.  It was actually an “off” weekend because they were doing a special project to celebrate Earth Day.  I of course, forgot the camera.  It was really fun -   Emma and Jake built little planters with a Plexiglas front so that you can actually see the root system as your plant grows.  My mom took the kids home with her to do the planting, so I don’t know how the flowers are turning out yet.  (A green thumb I am not…that’s why the plants are still at Mom’s.  I would probably kill them.)

   After last week,  we made the decision to leave Jake at home and bring the kit to him to build later.  He did great at the building part, but when we went to find seeds  he found the front loader and fork lift instead.  (After having to defend my son to an ignorant Lowe’s employee, I thought it best to let Jake work at his own pace in familiar surroundings…and Lowe’s, if you don’t want kids playing on your equipment, don’t park it in the middle of the aisle!)   The lady that is in charge of the workshops told us that she would be more than happy to send an extra kit home with us each week, so I was glad to have this time with Emma without feeling guilty for leaving Jake out.

   This week’s project was more my speed – a bird feeder.  Emma was very excited to get to work.

                     IMG_5072

Thankfully, the holes are pre-drilled and the instructions are clear and easy to follow.  Emma needed very little help, and soon she had a bird feeder!

IMG_5074

   I love these workshops for a lot of reasons – they are free, they are fun, they promote independence and a sense of accomplishment, and they are a great place to meet some new friends.   Emma is quite taken with a young man named Tyler.  His apron is covered in the patches that the kids receive when they complete the project – and he has a bunch more in his pocket that him mom hasn’t had a chance to sew on yet!

      IMG_5081

So, if you want to build something together,  join us at Lowe’s!  This weekend’s project is a really neat schoolhouse…I wonder how we are going to work it around Primary Quarterly Activity?

5 comments:

Katheryn said...

Looks like a lot of fun! We'll definitely have to join you sometime!

Janie Mueller said...

We would LOVE to join in on the fun!!! We will try to attend next one after the Primary program. Thanks fot the tip:)

Ilene said...

How cool! What time do they do the projects? We'd love to come!

Kelly said...

She Looks like a Natural! Nothing like pounding with a Hammer! Wish we could join you for the fun. Miss ya

Brittney said...

THat looks like so much fun! ANd Emma looks so happy with her very own birdhouse! :) Britt