Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Rookie Mistake

Jason and I haven’t been first time parents for a long time, but we are still suffering from some of our stupidity.

When we got pregnant with Emma, it was quite a surprise. We had not been planning to have children for another couple of years, so there was quite a bit of apprehension when we found out. However, the initial shock soon wore off and the shopping began.

Back then Jason and I both worked full time, so we had two incomes. We also found out we were expecting a girl right before we got our income tax rebate. So, first time parents + money + rebate money = some stupid purchases.

Things like the infant bathtub. My sister assured me I didn’t need one, but I had to have it. I think over the course of two kids I may have used it 3 times. Then there is the bottle/baby food warmer. While this did get used frequently, a cup of hot water works just as well.

I could keep on and on, but getting to my point…when I got Gretchen out of the tub the other night I reached into the vanity and grabbed what I thought was a hooded baby towel: (Even though regular towels work just as well.)

IMG_4631

Doesn’t she just look so happy and comfortable? Well, although it may look like a hooded towel, in reality it is the stupidest purchase we made….

IMG_4634

Yes, that is a bathrobe. For a baby. It’s cute, but have you ever tried to put clothes on a soaking wet baby? Not to mention that it only comes to her knees, so I had to use a towel anyway.

I guess I shouldn’t feel too bad – after all, baby gear is a huge industry, and there are warehouse-size stores and websites dedicated to all the stuff and fluff we “need” to properly care for an infant. Plus, I have managed not to buy the diaper wipe warmer, the microwave bottle sanitizer, the baby food processor, the video baby monitor, pacifier wipes….but I still really want one of those Bumbo chairs!

4 comments:

The Sauls Family said...

Everyone I know swears by the bumbo chair! My sister and SIL have one they have passed between them and they LOVE it. I'm mad they weren't around when I had my babies.

Katheryn said...

Even if it wasn't necessary, that little robe is still very cute! She looks adorable in it. She alwasy looks adorable though :)

Kim Jarvis said...

Haha! We had a pink robe too. I think it had a frog head or something. I used that thing 1 time! Still cute for pictures, though!

Kelly said...

O my could she get any Cuter? Look at that face! I LOVE HER!
That lil robe is darling.. chalk it up to you have a darling photo of her in a duck robe and use it for a dress up rather than a warm towel. The things we buy for these little ones...
The Easter outfits are so Darling! You have a Big Crew to dress. They all look Great.. Miss you!