Thursday, March 18, 2010

Why the Tooth Fairy has skipped our house

 

   Recently I got wondering when Emma was going to start loosing teeth.  Most all of her peers have lost at least one tooth, some of them two or three.  Then she came home from Nina’s house one day and my mom asked “Have you looked at her teeth lately?” Guess I should do more checks after teeth brushing because this is what I found:

IMG_3472

  Good heavens! Where did those come from? When did those come from?  I asked Emma how long she had had extra teeth. She said she never noticed them.  I guess I can’t feel too guilty for not seeing them, considering they are in her mouth and she never felt them.

   We had a friend of ours (who is a dental assistant) take a look at them, and she assures us while it isn’t  exactly normal, its common. However, the new teeth usually come in close enough behind the baby teeth that they make the baby teeth fall out.  In Emma’s case, the new teeth are far enough back that the baby teeth are going to have to be pulled – just don’t tell her that!

    Did I mention that she is so scared and uncooperative with dentist that she has to go completely under anesthesia before the dentist will touch her?  I sure hope she has matured in the last year and a half…I don’t think any of us is ready to go through that again!

***I wrote this post as a draft a couple of months ago.  Today, Emma went to the dentist.  She was spectacular! No whining, no fussing, no complaining.  Her new dentist told me that the office I had taken her to previously over-uses IV sedation.  I guess that is why you always need a second opinion.   I was right about those “shark teeth” – they have to come out, but so do the two on either side.  She goes back on April 19th…I hope she is as well behaved as she was today! (Wish us both luck.)

4 comments:

Kelly said...

Darn It! Don't feel bad... you haven't seen teeth issues till you seen the Thompson Kids teeth! I feel your pain! Good Luck, I will say a special prayer for you and Emma that day!
I hope the tooth fairy comes... try to hit her up to help pay that dental bill!

Kelly said...

I was thinking... you could bribe Emma with $20.00 if she lets Jason pull them out! Save your self some serious CASH $! Start Wiggling those babies!

Katheryn said...

I'm sure Emma will do great! Getting several out at once, the tooth fairy better bring her something special!

Mandi said...

Poor Emma! I feel her pain. I am glad that she did great at the dentists I remember last time. Do not forget I can watch the little ones or bring you some dinner. For the record you could get my brother to come. Jen had crazy teeth and so Robbie Tied one side of a string to Jens tooth and the other side to our screen door.... you can guess what happened next. Robbie got half of Jen's tooth fairy earnings. It was win win for my parents, Jen, and Robbie! COme to think of it I am sure it would still do it for Half of the tooth fairy earnings... Ha! Ha! Let me know if I can help.