Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The Amazing Jake

  Despite his extra chromosome, Jake is a very smart little boy.  He is constantly doing things that just make me shake my head and smile.   I think I am going to have to rewrite the book on what Down syndrome kids can and can’t do….

  Jakers is a couch potato.  Other than chasing bubbles and loving on his brother and sister, his favorite thing is watching TV.  Mom Disclaimer: they are only allowed to watch Disney movies, Playhouse Disney (no Hannah Montana!) , a couple of shows on Nick Jr. and PBS kids.  Of course, Emma also loves to watch Jeopardy! and Mythbusters…

  Anyway, as part of our morning routine, Jake watches TV while I get him dressed.  If he doesn’t cooperate, I turn the TV off.  (I actually have to power down the DVR because he knows how to turn the TV on.)  This morning he had gotten up before I did and was watching Jungle Book in Emma’s room.  I moved him to the living room and powered off their DVD player, VCR, and TV.  I sat down with Jake and told him it was time to get dressed.  He told me no, so I grabbed the remote to turn off the DVR.  My smart little man simply got up, went to Emma’s room and powered up the TV and VCR and resumed watching the Jungle Book! I am amazed at his problem solving, as well as his electronic ability. What a kid!IMG_0659 IMG_0660  As you can see from the pictures, even after getting dressed, he was too busy watching TV to smile for Mommy. My little ham had to get in the picture, though!

2 comments:

Katheryn said...

It was really good visiting with you this morning! Jake is always amazing to me. He is so special. We all love him!

The Sauls Family said...

Heh heh. After I left home, my parents were always threatening to turn off the cable as punishment. Every once in awhile my siblings would come home from school to find that it had indeed been turned off. Then it would come back on in a few weeks. Eventually my brother Matthew (who was 7 or 8 at the time) figured out that my parents were just unhooking the outside cable line running into the house. So from then on he'd sneak around and check on it when he got home from school, and hook it back up. It took far too long for my parents to figure out how it kept getting turned back on!