Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Why my daughter thinks I’m evil

On Monday night, our Family Home Evening was on the body as temple. We talked about how our bodies are temples where our spirits dwell, and how we should never ingest harmful things, wear revealing clothes, or mar our skin by getting body piercings or tattoos. It was a fun lesson, finishing in a maze that had us making choices at forks, and choosing the right got us to the temple. Emma really took the lesson to heart.

Ever since Monday, she has decided that tattoos are equivalent to the mark of the beast. She informed me yesterday that there was something worse than Barbie (who is considered a trashy hooch in our house). Tattoo Barbie. There really is such a thing and I think it is pretty ridiculous, but Emma was close to storming the Wal-mart and start burning them. There have been other comments, but that was the highlight.

Tonight as we were driving home, Emma gasped and let out an “oh-no, Mom!” I thought Jake had unbuckled his seat belt (again) or something had spilled. Nope. We had passed a tattoo parlor. “But what if someone goes in?!” I tried to explain to her that as members of the church, these were only our beliefs and everyone had a right to choose what they wanted to do to their bodies, and this did not make them evil. She said that only evil people had tattoos. In my exasperation, I finally told her that mommy had a tattoo – does this make Mommy evil? My sweet, precious daughter’s reply?

“well….yes.”

I guess next week we need to talk about converts...and tolerance.

2 comments:

Kim Jarvis said...

That is HILARIOUS! You are so evil :)
We saw a commercial for that tatto Barbie too - pretty weird.
We had a great time at the zoo - thanks for letting us hang with you guys!
(PS - I saw a link to your blog from Katheryn's. I hope that you don't mind that I decided to take a peek)

Kelly said...

Well you gave me a good laugh this morning! I am always amazed by Emma and how she puts everything together! She has the brains of an adult in a little girls body! Evil... what ever you don't have a inch of evil in you!
She is so blessed to have you as her Mom. That is why she is such a good girl cause you teacher so well... We LOVE You!