Friday, October 30, 2009

Emma’s New View

 

IMG_3466

  It certainly has been a momentous week around here, and today was no exception. 

A couple of weeks ago Emma told me that she thought she needed glasses.  Why? Because her friend Bailey has glasses. (This is really the reason she gave me. I can not make this stuff up.)  Even though I thought this was a silly reason, our new vision insurance is only $10 for an exam so I made the appointment.  Not to mention that she has had eye surgery twice – when she was 13 months, and again when she was four.  And the fact that nearly everyone on both sides of her family tree wear glasses.  My eyes were so bad – even with contacts – that I had Lasik done a couple of years ago.

  Once again, it has been proven that my six-year-old is smarter than I am…she needed glasses.  Her prescription is very slight, but on top of her near-sightedness, she has an astigmatism.

  She was so happy!  Watching her try on frame after frame was hard for me.  When I got glasses I was teased unmercifully.  I don’t want anybody to hurt my baby girl!  Of course, I was 13, and that is an evil age.  Hopefully six-year olds are more accommodating, and Emma has a stronger sense of self than I did. Anyway, she finally settled on a pair, and we went home where I was questioned everyday if her glasses had come in.

  Today was the day.  She is so proud of her new look, and she reports that she can see better.  She seems to be adjusting to them very well, except taking them off to polish them every hour.    I think it will take me a little longer to get used to seeing her in glasses, but she just looks even cuter than she did before, and if it is possible, those big brown eyes are even bigger!

IMG_3463a IMG_3464

  We had some celebratory pizza for lunch, then she showed her new look to all her stuffed animals and doll friends.  What a big day for my precious little girl!

4 comments:

Janie Mueller said...

I love them!!! They look great on her:)

Mandi said...

She looks adorable! I got glasses in first grade, too. I was never teased and I love my glasses I think they are cute and part of who I am. I am sure getting them at 6 vs. 13 is the reason why. Nothing is good at 13. Once again I am amazed at Emma brillance.

Kim Jarvis said...

She looks so cute! My Haley tried to pull that "I need glasses cuz my friend has them" stunt, but she was very sad to find out that her vision is perfect! I can't blame her - I love the glasses look and Emma sports them perfectly!

Katheryn said...

Yay Emma! Your glasses look awesome!