Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Back to School!

  Yesterday was Emma and Jake’s first day back to school.  At this point, I’m not sure who was more excited at the prospect, me or the kids.

  Jake should have been in VPK this year, but trying to find a special needs VPK that isn’t a daycare is pretty tough going.  He has been going to Lighthouse Learning Center since he was 17 months old, and I have been happy with it, but last year things changed.  He was in a classroom with only developmentally disabled kids, and he did really well at first, but then he hit a plateau and they wouldn’t move him to a different room.  I guess I raised enough cane and this year he is back in an inclusion class. His teacher, Miss Diane,  has been at LLC since Jake started and has always loved him. She is so excited to have him in her class and I think he is going to do great.  He was really excited to start back – so excited that he actually ran out to the bus when he heard it pull up.

IMG_2720 IMG_2721

                       IMG_2722

He was quite proud of himself.  I hope that his new teacher keeps him so happy about school, and looking forward to going every morning.

  Emma was so excited that she is going to be a”grader” this year.  (she says that once you’re out of kindergarten you’re a grader – 1st grader, 2nd grader, etc.  I swear she made this up on her own.)  She had had her clothes laid out for days, and her backpack filled with her new supplies.  She ended up with the teacher she wanted and loved the classroom when we visited during orientation.  She was not however, excited about mom and the camera.

IMG_2726

This picture is one just like my mom took of me and my sister every first day. She is holding up a one for 1st grade.

IMG_2727

   She looks so little headed up to that big school!

IMG_2729 IMG_2731

  As you can see, she was done with the camera. 

  After we dropped her off, Jason (who is such a great daddy that he takes the first day of school off every year to share it with the kiddos) and I headed to our annual back to school breakfast,hung out awhile, and then picked up Jakers from his school.  We had to drag him kicking and screaming from his classroom. He wasn’t ready to go home yet.

    We picked Emma after school and then went swimming at Nina’s and had dinner there. Emma reported that school was awesome, and even though she only had one friend from Ms. Fox’s class, she had a bunch of her playground friends in her class.  Her biggest excitement about the day? The new playground equipment. 

3 comments:

Kim Jarvis said...

Oh, he looks SO cute running out to the bus!!!!
And Emma and Haley wore the same skirt for their first days of school - they must have the same taste!

Katheryn said...

That picture of Jake standing on the steps of the bus is so cute! He has the best expression on his face! Glad Emma had a great first day. I hope this school year is as terrific as the last one!

Mandi said...

Your kids are adorable!!! I love Emma's Target outfit! Jake catching the bus is to die for. Thanks for sending me the pictures of me and jakers splashing. I had alot of fun with him He is so cute!

P.S.
I am great at babysitting when you have your next cute baby.